• Complete training, supplies and safety solutions
  • Committed passion for safety
  • One stop compliance
  • Complete training, supplies and safety solutions
  • Committed passion for safety

Frequently ask questions about Dangerous Goods Licences

The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) administers the Road and Rail Transport (Dangerous Goods) Act 1997, which adopts uniform national requirements for the transport of dangerous goods, including the requirements of the Australian Dangerous Goods Code.

A dangerous goods driver licence is only required for transport of dangerous goods in the following cases:
(a) in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500L
(b) if there is more than 500kg in a single receptacle
(c) in the case of intermediate bulk containers (IBCs), where the total capacity of all IBCs is more than 3,000L or where any IBC is filled or emptied while on a vehicle.

No, you must be a resident of NSW

You require a current Non-Restricted driver’s licence of any class to obtain a Dangerous Goods Licence.

To obtain a Dangerous Goods Licence you must hold an unrestricted drivers licence.

Provisional licence durations:
Learners -12months
P1- 12 months
P2- 24 months

Therefore, you would be 21 years or older after completing your provisional requirements.


The nominal hours for a Dangerous Goods Licence Course is 16 hours- 2 days.

Licences are valid for five years.

  • Medical assessment must be provided on the official EPA Form.
  • RMS Driving History Print Out.
    Must be within the last 6 months.
    If you have moved from interstate, you will require a print out from that state for any time in the 5 year period.
  • Two passport photos
  • Photocopy of your drivers Licence

Yes. You have 6 months from the date you successfully completed your course to submit your paperwork to the EPA

You will notified by a Kells staff member. A copy of your assessment will be sent, highlighting the area’s for further study. Once you feel confident you can make a booking to re-assessed.

There is no cost for re-assessment. However, if your second attempt is unsuccessful, you will be required to enrol in another 2 day licence course and pay the relevant fees.

Kells Training will process your application upon receipt of completed application and accompanying documents.

Kells Training Centre can provide you with your medical form or it can be downloaded from the EPA website.

In some cases the EPA will require you to complete a medical every 12 months. You will be notified by a representative of the EPA Licensing Department directly.

The medical cannot be older than 6 months at time of submitting your application.

The EPA will only accept Medical report from RMS, Truck Safe or Public Passenger Vehicle Driver Medical Assessment

No. You must obtain a certified original copy form the RMS.

Your driving history cannot be older than 6 months at time of submitting your application.

If you have been suspended or cancelled in the last five years the EPA will review your RMS driving history and advise if it is satisfactory or unsatisfactory to hold a Dangerous Goods licence.

Unless you can print a passport size photo to specifications, you must obtain 2 Passport size photos. To obtain a passport photo you can schedule an appointment at Australia Post. Your local chemist may also offer this service.

No. From midnight of the day of expiry you are no longer licensed to drive bulk Dangerous Goods.

No. You must have received your actual licence to carry Dangerous Goods.

You can ring the EPA Licensing Department and request and appointment. You will be requested to take completed application to Sydney pay the required fee (no cash excepted) and your licence will be issued on the spot.

This is a practice the EPA discourages and appointments granted are very rare.

Firstly, report the incident to police.
(You will be required to supply the police report reference number to the EPA)
For a replacement Licence you will need to send the following to
Environment Protection Authority
59-61 Goulburn Street

1) A covering letter stating:

  • Full name
  • Address
  • Daytime contact telephone number
  • Police Reference number

2) A Statutory Declaration witnessed by a Justice of the Peace

  • A short description of how the licence was lost
  • Reference to the Police report (stating Ref number)
  • Statement that you require a replacement of your dangerous Goods Licence

3) Two current passport size photographs signed

4) A clear photo copy of your drivers Licence

Copyright 2015 Kells Training Centre. All rights reserved.